Your gutter system wonít be able to handle the runoff from your roof on its own–it will need downspouts for that. The downspouts are mostly responsible for directing rainwater away from your home, but their placement is the key to their effective draining performance. Frame Restoration Roofing and Construction, the premier residential roofing and gutter company in the area, shares why downspout placement is crucial.
- Heads off water damage to your home. A downspout thatís placed correctly allows rainwater to be smoothly drained from the gutters and away from your home. This means your exterior walls and foundation will remain safe and intact against water exposure. And because the downspout reduces the potential of standing water inside the gutter system, it indirectly prevents water from seeping behind the fascia board and creating a leak. At the same time, it helps keep your gutters firmly attached to the roofline.
- Prevents soil erosion in your property. Weíve mentioned how correct downspout placement can eliminate the possibility of roof leaks and water damage to your home. But this also has another advantage. Since a properly placed downspout ensures smooth draining performance, the runoff ends up where it should be, which is away from your landscaping. Soil erosion can lead to a number of issues, but a correctly placed downspout can help avoid that.
What You Should Know About Downspout Placement
A few rules should be taken into account to ensure proper downspout placement. For instance:
- The roof pitch should be considered when positioning both the gutters and downspout. This way, rainwater wonít back up under the shingles and cause leaks.
- Itís a good idea to have a downspout placed per every 40 linear feet of gutter to help lower the volume of runoff handled by your gutters during a heavy downpour.
- The downspout should be placed in such a way that it wonít allow rainwater to pool near your homeís exterior wall and foundation. For this reason, avoid placing it along paving stones and walkways. Otherwise, the stones can create a Ďdamí that causes water to pool right near your homeís exterior walls.
The Top Choice for Roofing and Gutter Services
Frame Restoration Roofing and Construction can handle all your roofing and gutter needs. You know that youíll always get the highest quality service when you turn to us for the job. We proudly serve Frisco, TX, and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Call us today at (469) 346-8544 or fill out this contact form to schedule your consultation.